Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this natural stone compass is a beautiful piece of art! Made from dark grey natural soapstone, it blends well with any decor and works well on a desk. The significance of the compass as a metaphoric guiding point is a great reference of strength to support a friend. Great gift for men!
- Measures approximately 4-5/8-inches wide x 5-1/4-inches tall x 1-1/2-inches deep.
- 2-piece set. Colors are a lighter grey base and a darker grey compass. Expect varied colors in grey as these are made from natural stone.
- Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary in size by up to a half an inch.
- Made from a natural stone.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.
There are no reviews yet.