The elephant chime is handcrafted from recycled iron, hand embossed, and painted with an antique copper finish and colorful accents. This chime works well as indoor art or an outdoor garden chime. Elephant trunks pointed upward are thought to dispense energy, luck, and prosperity!
Handmade by artisans at a family workshop in Behat, India, the metalworking craft has been passed down from one generation to the next. The workshop was established in 1976 and employed an artisan family and well-trained artisans from the area.
- Type: Wall Art or Garden Chime.
- Colors: rustic copper finish with handpainted red, green, and gold accents.
- Materials: Recycled iron and jute string.
- Lacquer finish, lead-free.
- Dimensions: Approx. 11 inches from top to bottom and 5 inches wide.
- Cone Bells are approximately 2.25 inches tall and just under 1 inch at the base.
- The chains measure approximately 5.75 inches to the bottom of the bell.
- Jute string for the loop for hanging measures approximately 6 inches.
Story Behind the Art:
The workshop buys sheets of scrap metal from dealers who collect it door-to-door. But don’t let that make you doubt the quality of their handicrafts; they ensure the scrap comes from acceptable material and transforms the trash into beautiful art. The artisans specialize in a particular type of finishing known as “Rasai.” This is when a layer of brass is added to the wrought iron to give the products a rustic and crude appearance.
Due to the handmade nature, slight variations in size, color, shape, pattern, or other characteristics may be evident. Each piece is a unique work of art, lovingly crafted by hand.